Bandung City :

Home

Bandung Euy!

City History

Alun Alun

Grote Postweg

Braga Street

Gedung Sate

The City Parks

Old Buildings

Interesting Spots

Parijs Van Java

Parahyangan

Mountain Range

Bandung Map

More City Info...

 

Sign Guestbook

View Guestbook

About Webmaster

Mail to Webmaster

 

1999-2009
Bandung City Homepage - bandungsae.com

 

 The Aerial Photographs of Bandung



I have some great aerial photographs of the old Bandung (1920's and 1930's). By viewing these photo, you can imagine how beautiful Bandung as Parijs van Java in the past.

 Atjehstraat - Merdikaweg - Bilitonstraat - Sumatrastraat - Borneostraat - Bangkastraat

This view from 1920's gives a good view of the north east district of the center. The KNIL (Dutch Army) War Department building, right from the middle, is the one that catches attention, in the Kalimantan Street. On the left the Palace of the Army commandant (in the Aceh street) and the Molukkenpark (Taman Maluku), and the HBS (now it is SMA 3 and 5 Building) on the right of Bilitonstraat (Belitung Street). In the front of the War Department is the Insulindepark (now Taman Lalulintas), surrounded by all kinds of building and houses of KNIL officers. Behind the War Department are buildings of the the Jaarbeurs, first built in 1920. Down left in the picture is the intersection between Aceh Street and Merdeka Street (BIP). At the background, in the left corner is the Department of Government buildings, betterknown as Gedung Sate.

 

Old Grand Hotel Homann

This is the view of the old Grand Hotel Homann and surroundings. Hotel Homann was founded around 1870 on the Groote Postweg (now Asia Africa Street) as a simple hotel, but grew to be the most popular hotel of Bandung. Many famous people stayed there, but besides that it was very well known for its rice-table. In 1938 / 1939 the old hotel was replaced by a modern Indonesian new-business-style (art deco style) building by a design of architect Aalbers, with the new name Hotel Savoy Homann. Down right on the picture, dated beginning 1930's, the Bragaweg ends in the Groote Postweg. The building on the corner, one should see a part of the roof, was part of the famous Concordia Club.

 

Rembrandtstraat - Tjilakistraat - Tjisankoejstraat - Tjimanoekstraat - Wenckebachstraat - Dagoweg - Progoweg

Five Fokker airplanes of the KNIL airforce are flying above the Department of Government Buildings (Gedung Sate), in 1925.  North of this area are no buildings on the picture, only the Geological Laboratory, beside which the Geological Museum later was to be built, is already completed. This city-district mainly was reserved as an building-area for other departments from Batavia, but those transfer-plans were cancelled. South of the Gedung Sateh roads are built and the first country-houses are to be seen. The three-cornered shaped group of houses is the Gempol kampong-district.

 

Villa Isola - Lembangweg

Villa Isola at Setiabudhi Street, direction Lembang, in 1938. It was built in 1933 ordered by the millionaire Berretty, one of the most famous persons in the Indies newspaper-world en founder of the press agency Aneta.  Berretty had this impressive country-house predominantly built in new-business style by the famous architect Wolff Schoemaker, already responsible for the Grand Hotel Preanger, the Jaarbeurs building and the Concordia club. Berretty was only able to enjoy this beautiful posession for one year. December 22, 1934 he crashed with the "Uiver", a plane of the KLM, the Royal Dutch Airlines. After that Villa Isola was in service as a annex of the Grand Hotel Homann, untill the Second Worldwar. Now, this building is the main office for UPI (Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia

 

The Old Soekamiskin Prison

View from 1930 of the Sukamiskin Prison, at Ujungberung street, East of Bandung, on road to Garut. Around the huge, symmetric shaped complex the houses for the personal are built. The small airport Sukamiskin is seen in the background, one can see the landingstrip markings. Sukamiskin was used from the late 1920's as a prison for Indonesian nationalists and was known to the people as a symbol of colonial suppression. President Sukarno was here in prison, after his conviction in the sensational trial against him and some other Indonesian leaders in december 1930. The irony was that Sukarno some years earlier, during a short period as an architect, probably worked on the building drawings himself. During the Japanese occupation Sukamiskin was a prison for Dutch civil servants, until February 1944.

 

Bragaweg - Merdikaweg - Soeniaradjaweg - Tamblongweg - Javastraat - Logeweg - Grootepostweg

Another view on the center of Bandung, around 1930, direction north west this time. The upper part of the picture shows the railroad clearly, crossed by the northern part of the Bragaweg. North of this crossing one should see the white buildings of the residence office, the Bank of Java (now Bank Indonesia building), and the Church of Bethel, and the Parc of Pieter Sythof (Taman Balaikota / Taman Merdeka) on the right. Between this Park oand the Cathedral Church is the Schoolroad (now it is the part of Merdeka Street). The name for the School is  the Ursulinen Sisters (now St Angela High School), see the high, white building upper right, and the Dutch-Native Training-college for teachers next to it. Along the northern part of the Bragaweg, on the left, old low buildings mostly are being replaced by modern European shops, with multiple floors. Notice the building with the flat roof of the Dutch Indies Gas Company. In the middle of the picture are along the diagonal Oude Hospitaalroad (Lembong Street) the telephone office and the radio-telephone office, in an L-shape.

 

The pictures were taken from "Boven Indie Nederlands - Indie en Nieuw Guinea in luchtfoto's, 1921-1963". The book was written by J.R. van Diessen and R.P.G.A. Voskuil.